WELCOME

Come follow me as I embark on a journey to simplify my life and rid myself of the physical baggage that is preventing me from living to the fullest.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Life is Far More Than Stuff

One of my FB friends posted a link this video today....Be Inspired I took some time to watch the video as I sat at my craft table and it hit home.

Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. - James 4:14
Life is so momentary and our stuff is so meaningless when we are gone. This video puts that all into perspective- it was the moments and the person that Zach was that will be remembered. I noticed they didn't post any trophies or other personal things that he owned. But there was a lot of talk about the way Zach made people feel and how he invested his time. Those are the things that I want to be remembered for too.

My Grandpa passed away nearly 3 years ago today and it's true- I have one or two of his things hanging around but it's really the man he was that I'll remember not what he owned. We all own so many things and yet these things when we are gone are going to be tossed away or donated. Living with less for me is about a shift in how I approach life. I am learning that I don't need piles of things to have a good life. That my time and effort could be better spent living instead of striving for more things. It's not wrong to have stuff but there is so much freedom in not being tied down by our stuff!!

This year I have challenged myself to rid my house of 500 things as I live out my word of the year- LESS. It's a daily challenge to think in terms of simplicity and reducing what I have to become more fulfilled with those things I do have and letting go of what is holding me back from a life of Freedom.

So since my last post at the end of March I have further reduced the things I own by 76 things! That brings my total to 350! Getting closer and closer to the 500 mark just 150 items to go and 7 more months to go....can I do it?


Total: 350 

-       Miscellaneous/House -85
-       clothing/accessories- 96
-       Office Supplies/Books- 96
-       Kitchen items- 50
-       Hair/Beauty- 21
-       Tools- 2 


No comments:

Post a Comment